Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Meddlings: Prelude (Intro)

Prelude to a Project

The piano is more than just an instrument - it's a tool for self-expression and an emotional outlet for the stressed. At least, that's how I see it.
As a sophomore of about 16 years of age, I've been playing the piano for almost 11 years now, and I recently have found a new way to express myself using my experience - piano improvisation.
Just for a quick bit of context, up until I stopped piano lessons following the end of 8th grade, I was taught almost exclusively classical music. I was aching for a change - a genre of music that was more free and more varied. Improvisation provided that route.
Improvisation is almost purely spontaneous composition, and its free-form style allowed me to play however I felt like playing. As my interest grew, so did my desire to improvise in more and more complex ways. That's where this project comes in.
In school, we are being given the opportunity to practice whatever passion we want over the course of around 6 weeks, culminating in a TED-style talk. I have chosen to take this time to improve my improv - and I'll be tracking my progress here on this blog.
My goal is to incorporate a new component to my improvisation repertoire each week. I'll record an improvised piano solo utilizing each component to be posted with each blog post.

Goal 1 - Improv in keys up to 3 sharps or 2 flats
Goal 2 - Improvise in 2 new chord progressions (ex. I -IV - V - I)
Goal 3 - Incorporate more varied left hand accompanying rhythms
Goal 4 - Be able to transition between keys or chord progressions mid-song
Goal 5 - Ultimately, I will improvise a solo that encompasses all of the above components.

As of now I don't really have any overbearing obstacles, other than maybe time deadlines. I have yet to discover how long it will take me to learn and effectively incorporate new techniques into my improvisation.
       This concludes the Prelude to a Project. I hope you enjoy the main event!

5 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you're learning improv on the piano. It might even help you out on the trumpet, carrying different rhythm over to the trumpet. Just remember to have fun with it! Like you said, improv is a freedom of expression that no other form of music can give you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Piano improvisation seems like a really cool project! I am excited to see what music you will bring to the table. Piano improvisation allows you to create any style of music any way you want instead of just focusing on one style, as you mentioned. This is a very cool project for a musical person like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you've actually stuck with piano all these years. I, like so many other children, was forced to start playing at a young age. I stopped taking lessons after fifth grade, and I finally stopped playing after sixth. Unfortunately, my piano is just collecting dust in our house. I don't really miss playing the piano, but the instrument is unique in the amount of freedom one has - playing in both clefs, or multiple notes AT ONCE, for example. Improvisation sounds like a good project to undertake for any musician. I can't wait to hear your recordings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same story for me - I started playing in kindergarten and ended lessons at the end of seventh grade. Occasionally I still visit the piano and attempt to play songs I like by ear (which songs they are shall remain a secret), but I'm so self-conscious that I would only do so when I'm home alone (which is rare, unfortunately). Improvisation will certainly help to jazz up your musical abilities (that was terrible), and I - we - look forward to hearing your recordings! No pressure :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you picked up piano again. I, like Brett, have stopped piano since seventh grade(after picking up the trumpet), and as a person who often listens to "electronic" music, I still have an undying respect towards piano pieces. I sometimes go back to the piano to remind myself how much coordination I do not have anymore, but I wish you luck and will be sure to follow your future endeavors.
    I do not know if you need or want to listen to examples of piano improve, but I know that Dj-jo/Zenpaku and LilyPichu (YouTube) have some good piano improve videos.

    ReplyDelete