Monday, March 9, 2015

Meddlings: Movement III and Vlog (Post 3)

Complicated accompaniment is complicated...

Hello! Welcome to Movement III!
As this is project is fast approaching its climax, a number of things are going to be happening!
First and foremost, I need to start working on my TED-talk. The presentation is in the near future (March 17-19), and I need to get prepared so that I can have time to practice and make a presentation and all that. I'll be talking about that a little bit more.

And by talking, I mean literal talking. This post will be containing a vlog (video + blog), where you get to "meet" me. I'm gonna talk about a number of things, including more about the state of the project, my origins as a musician/why I chose piano improv as my project topic.

It's not perfect. It might be a bit long. And my voice might seem a little congested. And I look away from the camera to consult my computer which has a teleprompter running. The jump cuts and video insertions may also seem a bit random. Again, not perfect... but I wanted to add the bit of personal narrative. I did my best to offset the length with a bit of humor and music... though I'm still not quite sure I've succeeded. I hope I'm not acting too silly at some points... Watching myself over and over again has desensitized me, and I have no idea if others will find this good, or will find it immature... I hope you enjoy nonetheless...
Edited on iMovie. Teleprompter: Cue Prompter



Phew. Got that over with. (Sorry it's YouTube again - the file size is once again too big for Vimeo to embed). Indeed - the process of procuring good recordings can lead to... insanity. And "so on."

Moving on, to this week's recordings. I know that there are only two of them, but I was a bit pressed for time, what with recording the vlog as well. If given the option, I would have probably redone them... but overall I am satisfied with how they turned out. And, now, for the results of the poll:
In a stunning and complete (but not all that surprising) turn of events: live video of my hands has won by... a lot. 5 votes to 0. Thank's for your input!

The main focus was to increase the complexity of my left hand's movements.Now that's a very abstract goal - after all, how does one define "complex" without using their own opinion? What I've been doing up until this point is playing whole chords (for the most) with my left hand - whole note, whole note, maybe a few other rhythms thrown in there too. Additionally, in the past, I have improvised with a constant movement of the broken chord in triplets or in eighth notes.

To add "complexity" this week I strove to play broken chords of varying rhythms, in an attempt to weave the left and right hand together into a more cohesive piece. This includes interjecting notes between hands using syncopation, swapping melodies (briefly) between hands, or playing transitional notes outside the chords between phrases of melody or chords in the progression. There wasn't much research involved in the making of this piece - just listening to music of varying genres gave me a few reference rhythms, but the rest was purely experimental. I'm pretty satisfied with end result. I hope you are too. Enjoy the fruits of my labor.




The Coming of Spring - A kind of bouncy tune keyed in C Major - It starts off a little scrambled, like flowers finding their way through snow... (maybe) and resolves with some nice chord-choruses near the end. A little jaunt-of-a left hand melody switch as well.





Rain - A bit of a melancholy tune - kinda like a rainy day. Set in G Major - with E minor harmonies to offset the major key. I really tried to intertwine each hand's part - and not trip over my own fingers in the process.

Note: Both were titled by my Mom.


See you guys for Movement IV soon!
- Josh

5 comments:

  1. Hey Josh, nice to meet you!
    I have to say how impressed I am with all of this. I could never even imagine playing music like that without having a piece either memorized or in front of me. The 'broken chords' seem to be coming out nicely as well; it definitely looks like it's pretty complex and it seems like you're doing pretty well with it all.
    I hope that your piano bench doesn't break! Don't let too many people on it at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I just listened to most of your improv pieces, and it's so cool to see how you've progressed. Also, I kind of wish I could be as open-minded as you are about different musical genres. I'm not a huge fan of jazz, but recently, I've learned to appreciate the complexity of jazz improv.

    Do you ever use your actual piano (not the keyboard) to improvise? I feel like that could give you a larger dynamic range in order to express yourself better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback!
      I often do - it's just that recently the piano has been out of tune, and one of the keys has made this really loud clicking noise (it was a loose hammer I think). But, it has since been tuned and repaired, and I will be posting Movement IV on the actual piano!

      Delete
  3. (D: Blogger deleted my amazing comment and now I have to try to remember everything that I typed before.)
    ...Annd I finally commented! (Sorry it took me so long.) First of all, I just wanted to say that YOU ARE AMAZING. Your presentation and improv skills blew me away. Secondly, props for teaching yourself pieces without incentive from piano lessons or school projects! I tried to do that back in middle school (influenced by the same friend that influenced you if I'm not mistaken), but I never had enough motivation to actually finish the song. Anyways, back to you! I haven't really had a chance to listen to a lot of your pieces since now, and I really like all of them, especially the one with the variations of Heart and Soul that you had playing in the background of your vlog. (I forget what it's called, sorry. It's not loading because my computer is slow and stupid.) Great job with everything!!

    ReplyDelete